Christopher Long

Freelance Critic
DVDTown.com
Cineaste Magazine

I think the full list of 255 films is probably more interesting than any winnowed-down list chosen from the pool. I haven’t seen about a third of them and I now have a long list of new films to watch – too bad so few of them are available on Netflix. My choices are by no means a selection of what I think are the 20 best films from the list (I cannot think of “Jeanne Dielman” or “Story of the Late Chrysanthemums” as obscure) nor are the 10 other films I’ve chosen a ten-best list. I focused heavily, though not exclusively, on documentaries or movies that might be called documentary-like because they’re always so underrepresented on lists like these. I picked more recent films too since the contemporary canon hasn’t (completely) ossified yet.

No comments: